Insect Sprays

Insect sprays have improved our lives in many ways. Though people sometimes see only the harm they can bring when overused or improperly applied, they often forget the high numbers of deaths that occur and have occurred from insect borne diseases like malaria. Insect sprays, when used correctly are a wonderful tool, but when used carelessly or indiscriminately they can do great harm.

All insect sprays are not created equal when it comes to their effectiveness for specific bug control. Some are general use insecticides that will kill a host of pests, while others are designed to kill or repel targeted bugs, and still others are for certain flowers or food plants. Some can repel your unwanted invaders, while others other a more permanent solution. The more closely you can target the pests that are invading your turf, the safer everyone is, including you, your pets, and the good guy insects and wildlife.

A regular regimen of insect spraying is the best way to remain bug-free. Once you’ve repelled or exterminated the vermin, it is best to maintain control with regular sprayings. Talk with a pest control professional about different pesticides that you can alternate to best advantage. Like some drugs, some sprays require several applications on a periodic basis to control the insects, and some must be reapplied after watering or heavy rains for maximum results.

Whenever handling insect sprays, it is also important to use them with care. These are poisonous substances that often have toxic ingredients that can irritate eyes, respiratory and gastro-intestinal tracts. If you accidentally spray some into your eyes, immediately flush them for 15 to 20 minutes with water, then call poison control. If accidentally inhaled or ingested, call poison control immediately. Do not induce vomiting unless directed to do so by poison control or a licensed professional. As with all toxic products, follow the directions when using them. Too little can lead to resistant bugs that become immune to the pesticides, while too much insect spraying can harm your plants, the environment, wildlife, or you.

Insect sprays should be locked away in a dry, cool place where children cannot touch them. Never store these products near food or water, and thoroughly wash any empty containers before disposing of them. Never reuse an empty container.

It is important to identify the pest or pests you need to eliminate, as well as to consider such things as your location and the presence of young children, pets, or food. Also important is using the least potent, yet still effective insecticide possible. The problem with this is that insects are notorious for becoming immune to pesticides that were once effective because of their high reproductive rate, and populations vary from place to place. One of the best resources for help in identifying pests and the best methods and products for eliminating them is a do it yourself pest control company. These experts are happy to help you and can also supply you with professional quality products and equipment. They may also be able to direct you toward effective green pest control products that are earth-friendly if there are any for your particular pest.